Get Involved – become a LATCH Community Ambassador
Would you like to become more involved and represent LATCH in your local community?
We are looking to recruit a team of enthusiastic volunteers across Wales to become LATCH Community Ambassadors and help us spread the word about the great work that LATCH does to support children with cancer and their families in their local community.
The LATCH Office is based at the Children’s Hospital of Wales in Cardiff and is run by two full time administration staff. In order to keep running costs to the minimum LATCH does not employ any professional fundraisers and relies on the generosity of our supporters, family and friends of our patients and local community organisations and businesses to raise funds on our behalf.
LATCH is very lucky to have five branches across Wales, run by dedicated LATCH supporters on a voluntary basis, who represent LATCH in their local areas. The LATCH branches are currently in Barry, Porthcawl, Carmarthen, Ogmore Vale and Cross Keys.
There are certain parts of Wales where we do not have any representation and this is where the LATCH Community Ambassadors will fill these gaps.
Here are some of the areas where we are currently looking to recruit promotion volunteers are:
Please note that we are accepting Community Ambassadors from other communities – this is just as a guide.
Aim of LATCH Community Ambassadors
To promote the work of LATCH Welsh Children’s Cancer Charity to local communities across Wales.
- To represent LATCH at any local fundraising events in your community and receive cheque presentations and give acceptance speeches etc
- To feed any local stories to the local press and to the LATCH office to be used in The Beacon (LATCH’s newsletter) and the LATCH website.
- To give presentations about the work of LATCH groups and organisations interested in fundraising for LATCH.
- To manage and distribute LATCH promotional items and merchandise for your local area.
- To distribute and collect collection boxes upon request to local pubs, clubs, shops and workplaces.
- To support any events organised centrally by the LATCH office or by the nearest LATCH branch.
LATCH Community Ambassadors may want to organise their own fundraising activities but this is not a requisite requirement of the role.
Flexible time commitment, approx 2/3 hours a month, requests will come in on an adhoc basis throughout the year
Place of work:
Home and various venues across your local area including schools, community groups and business venues.
Denise Henderson, LATCH General Manager
The use of a car would be preferable or knowledge of your local public transport network
Key criteria for the role
- Interest and understanding of the work done by LATCH. You may have had first hand experience of LATCH in the past or you may have connections with a family who has been looked after by LATCH.
- A good communicator, outgoing, confident and comfortable in giving presentations / talking to groups of people.
- IT skills, Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. You may have to write thank you letters on behalf of LATCH and amend presentations for certain audiences.
- Reliable, strong organisational skills and good time-keeping!
- LATCH Community Ambassador training days and get-togethers
- Tools for the job such as standard LATCH Powerpoint presentations, fundraiser packs etc
- LATCH polo shirt
- Full employers liability insurance cover
- Satisfaction that you are supporting such a great charity!
Two references in relation to suitability for the role (one from an employer / personal contact – not family) and a CRB check.
Please fill in the LATCH Community Ambassador application form (PDF, 97k) and send it back to:
Community Ambassador Application
LATCH Welsh Children’s Cancer Charity
Children’s Hospital for Wales
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org